Any way to scroll within a column?

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I love VisualWIP but there are a couple things that are holding me back.  I have a column that may contain more items than I can see.  Any way a vertical and horizontol scroll bar could be added?

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Hi,

I’m glad that you like Visual WIP. The columns don’t scroll by design. When you need to scroll it means that you have to actively interact with the tool to see some of the work in you process. The purpose is that all work should be visible without any interaction with the tool. If you go to design mode you can change the size of the column by dragging the gray thumbs in the corners of the column.

But if you would like to add scrolling to the columns you can do so by modifying the xmal files that defines most of the UI in Visual WIP. Locate the file WorkItemResources.xaml and make the changes you want. When you restart Visual WIP the changes will be loaded at start-up. I will provide an example in the coming days.

/ Hakan

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Since there was no follow-up example, I have an example that works well enough for single columns. Within the WorkItemResources.xaml file (as Hakan suggested), the WorkItem:WorkColumnViewModel DataTemplate can be modified as follows to use a ScrollViewer for vertical scrollbars on a single column:

<DataTemplate DataType="{x:Type WorkItem:WorkColumnViewModel}">
    <ScrollViewer VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Auto">
    // Border content
    </ScrollViewer>
</DataTemplate>

Design Mode definitely helps resizing columns, but may not be sufficient for some larger Scrum teams that tackle more than a few stories. Additionally, a team may decide to use Visual WIP to display Stories and associated Tasks to get a full board view of sprint progress, which would require some scrolling. This may not be a common use of the tool, but the flexibility of the tool definitely helps these edge cases. Great job on Visual WIP!

Morgan